Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Community Association Living [ [Part 3: Has Your HOA Died?]

Your homeowners association may have died a natural death and you are not aware of it. The Marketable Record Title Act, or MRTA (pronounced “marta”), was enacted to remove clouds and encumbrances on deeds and titles after thirty years. The effect of this legislation is to extinguish deed restrictions after thirty years by operation of law unless there are record title transactions preserving them some way. If your association was organized and the Declaration of Restrictive Covenants (also known deed restrictions, CC&Rs, covenants) were recorded more than thirty years ago, then there are a few things you should research to see if you should contact an attorney for further review.

Keep in mind MRTA analysis must be done by individual lots because there could be a title transaction in your chain of title that preserves the restrictions. A title transaction is a transfer of interest in real property.

First, you will need to research the county records. You can do this by putting the name of your county with “official records” behind it in your search engine, or Google. For instance, residents of Orange County can enter “Orange County Official Records.”

You will need to review your Declaration of Restrictive Covenants to check if the date they were recorded was more than thirty years ago. You will also need to check if there have been any “Restated and Amended” declarations recorded that are not more than thirty years old. While filing restated declarations may preserve the restrictions another thirty years, there could be defects that do not make this an automatic preservation. You will also need to look for a document called a “Notice of Preservation,” which also preserves the restrictions for another thirty years.

You will want to look for a copy of your deed. Check your deed to see if it refers to covenants or restrictions by OR Book and Page Number. A specific reference to restrictions by book and page number is sufficient to preserve the restrictions against your lot. Fla. Stat. 712.01.

If there is no reference to the book and page number containing restrictions, you will need to look at the Plat Book containing the plat of your community. The plat is referenced in your deed in the legal description of the property. Not all counties have their plat books online, so you may need to take a trip to the county records office. If the recorded plat contains restrictions or refers to the covenants or restrictions by book and page number on the plat, this will also preserve the restrictions.

If your deed or your plat does not reference the restrictions by book and page number, the next step is to research the deeds in your chain of title, going backwards. If there are any deeds referencing the restrictions by book and page number, chances are the restrictions are not extinguished by MRTA. If you do not find any, then you should consult with an attorney who is experienced in MRTA analysis. This is a special area of law not practiced by all real estate attorneys, so you will need to obtain a referral or do some research into attorneys providing this type of service.

Copyright ©2013 Law Offices of Stage & Associates P.A.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at www.stagelaw.com.
ociations. Please visit our website at www.stagelaw.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This site is intended for general information regarding Florida laws governing community associations and should not be used to solicit legal advice. Please consult with an attorney licensed in your state to answer legal questions concerning your association.